Good Energy

The guys at Good Energy have been really supportive and excited about the expedition, so much so that they have made a contribution which allows me to keep the blog regularly updated during the expedition, so they and everyone else can follow the journey. Good Energy supplies 100% renewable electricity sourced from wind, water, sun and sustainable biomass. CO2 from coal-fired electricity generation is one of the largest contributors to greenhouse gas emissions in the world. Switch your electricity supply to Good Energy using this link and not only will you be supporting the pioneering community of independent green generators, but for every sign up they get they’ll make another donation to help get the bus around the world. It helps you cut your personal CO2 emissions, helps them grow a great business, and helps me get round the world.


Saturday 4 July 2009

Homefield School Genesis

I was invited as the guest of honour to Homefield Preparatory School in South London. What a great school, and some very smart kids. I was honoured to meet most of them as I presented prizes for sport and academic achievement.

While planning the talk, I developed a couple of ideas for involving the children from this, and hopefully many other schools in the project.

Firstly I’d like the children to help me with researching energy projects along the route. I’d like them to find schemes around the world where energy is being generated in a sustainable (or unsustainable) way that I can visit and document with video and images. Also I’d like to send me questions for me to find out about the energy being generated.

On a practical point, we’ll find a way of always having our immediate destination listed on the website as well as our current location to limit the geographical scope of their research. And I will produce some simple lesson plans for teachers to help them structure the research.

Then if I’m able to visit and find out the answers I’ll post the answers back to the site with video.

Secondly, I’d like kids to take the Biotruck Pledge, and tell me about their carbon saving. Again through the expedition site and external sites, kids (and adults) will be able to calculate their footprint saving and post it on the web.

At the end of the expedition we’ll total up the CO2 saving from all our followers.

Based on the response from Homefield School, where the idea was very warmly welcomed, I think this could be a really exciting aspect of the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?